GOALS OF OUR PROGRAM
- Enable all students to explore and communicate their understandings, feelings, and ideas in a variety of art forms
- Develop higher level thinking skills (evaluating, expressing, problem solving, creating) ∙ Develop artistic skills to enhance academic skills
- Foster a culture of collaboration to deepen students’ understanding of themselves and others
BENEFITS OF OUR PROGRAM
- Engages the senses, stimulates imagination and creativity and broadens students’ understanding of themselves, others, and the world that they live.
- Contributes significantly to the development of multiple intelligences.
- Fosters cross-curricular understanding.
- Encourages risk taking and provides opportunities to explore personal challenges in a safe environment.
- Promotes thinking critically, creatively, and divergently.
- Provides increased exposure to a wide range of artistic tools and processes.
- Builds awareness and appreciation of the arts.
Victoria School of the Arts celebrates a solid literacy foundation, where the arts and academics are interconnected. Students think as critically in their arts classes as they think creatively in their academic classes. The International Baccalaureate Programme aligns the arts and academics within a framework of inquiry. Students are encouraged to develop the ability, confidence, and imagination to pursue their dreams and contribute to their community both locally and globally
- Students are given the opportunity to explore their creativity, self-expression, and depth of understanding through art, music, dance, drama, and digital media.
- Instruction incorporates the arts into language arts, math, science, social studies, and physical education.
- Inclusion of guest speakers, artist-in-residences, and arts-related field trips helps to connect our students to the local and global arts community.