We acknowledge that Victoria School of the Arts is located in the heart of Treaty 6 territory, the traditional lands to many diverse groups of Indigenous Peoples including the various nations of the Dene, the Nakota Sioux, nêhiýaw, Siksikaitsitapi and the Metis Nation-Region 4.
We honour that these local Indigenous communities still have meaningful relationships and stories tied to land that will continue into the future. Our appreciation and love is sent to the Elders and community members who are working hard to preserve Indigenous ceremonies, language and teachings for the advancement of our community. We are committed to engaging in reconciliation throughout our school by supporting and empowering Indigenous narratives and teachings.
Victoria School of the Arts is an Edmonton Public School Division Kindergarten through grade 12 Alternative Arts Program. Victoria School of the Arts students engage in the study of specific art forms such as Band, Choral, Dance, Digital Media, Drama, Film-making, Music, Orff, and Visual Arts and in turn use artistic processes and creativity to deepen their understanding and success in all curricular areas.
WE BELIEVE THE ARTS
- Are an inseparable part of the school's culture and therefore are a vital part of the learning experience
- Motivate the cognitive, social, civic, personal, and aesthetic growth and development of students
- Open avenues for innovation and invention, as well as fostering respect for individual, cultural, and aesthetic diversity
- Provide students with a variety of approaches to learning methods of building connections between thinking, learning, knowing, and communicating
GOALS OF OUR PROGRAM
- Enable all students to explore and communicate their understandings, feelings, and ideas in a variety of art forms
- Develop higher level thinking skills (evaluating, expressing, problem solving, creating)
- Develop artistic skills to enhance academic skills
- Foster a culture of collaboration to deepen students’ understanding of themselves and others
BENEFITS OF OUR PROGRAM
- Engages the senses, stimulates imagination and creativity and broadens students’ understanding of themselves, others, and the world that they live.
- Contributes significantly to the development of multiple intelligences.
- Fosters cross-curricular understanding.
- Encourages risk taking and provides opportunities to explore personal challenges in a safe environment.
- Promotes thinking critically, creatively, and divergently.
- Provides increased exposure to a wide range of artistic tools and processes.
- Builds awareness and appreciation of the arts.
Victoria School of the Arts celebrates a solid literacy foundation, where the arts and academics are interconnected. Students think as critically in their arts classes as they think creatively in their academic classes. The International Baccalaureate Programme aligns the arts and academics within a framework of inquiry. Students are encouraged to develop the ability, confidence, and imagination to pursue their dreams and contribute to their community both locally and globally.
- Students are given the opportunity to explore their creativity, self-expression, and depth of understanding through art, dance, drama, digital media and music
- Instruction incorporates the arts into language arts, math, science, social studies, and physical education
- Inclusion of guest speakers, artist-in-residences, and arts-related field trips helps to connect our students to the local and global arts community
- Students learn to demonstrate proficiency within the following Learner Profile criteria:
- Collaborate and/or work within an ensemble (Communicators)
- Communicate ideas with clarity and detail (Knowledgeable)
- Reflect and respond to information and/or actions (Thinkers)
- Work independently (Principled)
- Approach to problem solving creativity (Risk-takers)
- Demonstrate kindness and generosity toward others (Caring)
- Demonstrated a commitment and or experiences in the Arts (Inquirers)
- Work in each class with a variety of independent thinkers (Open-minded)
- Ask questions of themselves, their teachers and each other (Reflective)
- Think about their thoughts, actions and emotions in their own lives and their impact on others (Balanced)
We are pleased that you are interested in attending Victoria School of the Arts. Both academic and artistic excellence are important at Victoria School. Our staff, students and their families believe that the heart of Victoria School of the Arts lies in the joy to learn, the passion to create and the wonder of discovery.
Kindergarten to Grade 9 Application
Students and families wanting to apply to Victoria School of the Arts for the 2021-2022 school year are invited to download and complete the appropriate application below.
- Applications Accepted: Starting Wednesday, February 2, 2022
Please download and complete the Kindergarden - Grade 9 Application Package. The process and completion instructions are included in the package.
Grade 10-12 Registration Information
Please visit our Grades 10-12 Registration Page for information on how to register.
You can also view our High School Course Book online.
For questions about registration, please contact our main office at 780-426-3010.