To dream the possible dream . . . that’s the Foundation’s vision for all talented Victoria students. To achieve this end the Victoria School Foundation for the Arts was launched with a dream to ensure that no student is denied the opportunity to achieve his or her artistic dreams. The Foundation now has a $2.6 million endowment fund.
The Victoria School Foundation was pleased to offer $72,500 in awards and scholarships to students and in 2017. To date the Foundation has provided 313 awards and scholarships of a total value of $814,000. As the Foundation’s administrative expenses are negligible, almost all of the Foundation’s income is available for assisting students and purchasing theatre equipment.
The 2016-17 Master Class instructors included a theatre artist from England, who will come to work with Victoria students right after sending out the first American tour of A Curious Incident of the Dog at Nighttime, a Musical conductor and a choreographer from the United States.
Each year the Foundation contributes $5000 towards the school’s musical theatre production and provides $25,000 towards theatre and other equipment.
In May, the Foundation again partnered with Players de Novo for the annual legal community play. The Foundation greatly appreciates this partnership.
A number of named scholarships have been endowed by our donors or in recognition of staff or other supporters of the school. They are as follows:
- Barbara Poole Scholarship - $7500
- Vera Gottschlich scholarship-$7000+ preference given to the study of classical piano
- Landmark Homes scholarship- $6500
- Trussler/Price scholarship - $6000
- Players de Novo - $5500
- Arthur Hiller scholarship- $ 5000
- Bob Maskell scholarship- $4500
- Hole Family scholarship-$4500
- Stollery Family Scholarship- $4000
- Foundation Scholarship (to recognize all of our donors over the years) - $3500
- Dianne and Irv Kipnes Scholarship- $3500 preference given to the study of classical voice or piano
- Vera Gottschlich - $3000
- Canadian Western Bank Scholarship - $2500
- Brookfield Residential Scholarship - $2500 art or new media
- Judy Sills Scholarship - $2500 music
- Steve Ashworth Scholarship - $2500 film or video
- Loic Cremer Scholarship for Creative Writing - $2000
- Scotia Bank Summer School Award - $1000
- Jacqui and Don Smith Summer School Awards - $4000
In addition there are a number of awards for students to pursue summer school programs. The top award is the Scotiabank award of $1000.
As well, the Foundation provides the Dreams Alive master classes each year to help students develop their artistic talent. Established artists from North America are invited to share their talents with carefully chosen students whom it is felt will benefit from this enrichment.
The Foundation also raises funds in a partnership with the legal community deNovo Players to make improvements in arts equipment in the school, particularly the theatre.